While living in Boston has it’s benefits, the weather can oftentimes cause problems for homeowners. From snow and ice to rain and flooding, you never know when the next weather system could lead to a home disaster.
Luckily if any weather-related issues do arise, there are a few steps you can take to restore your affected furniture and belongings.
Restoring belongings after a home disaster
- Remove standing water. The majority of home disasters in the Boston area are water related (floods or leaks). If this is the case for your home, it’s important to first and foremost remove any standing or visible water. This will prevent more of your home’s items from becoming destroyed or damaged. You can remove water with pumps, mops, buckets and wet vacs.
- Dry the area. After removing excess water, make sure to dry the area as best you can using fans, de-humidifiers and opening windows. At this stage, it’s important to call your insurance company so that they can send someone over to your home to assess any damage done to your home’s structure or foundation. For those with homeowners insurance or flood insurance, this is your best option to saving money on repairs and replacements.
- Contact a moving & storage company. If your home has suffered foundation issues or other structural problems, we recommend contacting a moving and storage company so that your unaffected belongings can be safely stored during the remodeling efforts. Mastodon Moving provides short term storage solutions as well as in home moving if you would rather move items from one room to another during the project.
- Contact a mold removal company. Floods and leaks can lead to mold problems down the road so it’s important to call a mold testing and mold remediation company to remove mold spores and other signs of mold. Black mold can also be toxic to you and your family if left untreated.
- Contact a junk removal company. Unfortunately during a home disaster not all of your items and furniture may be salvageable. Carefully assess which items can be repaired and fixed and which should be tossed. After creating the “toss” pile, you may need to contact a junk removal company to coordinate a pickup. Mastodon Moving can also refer you to a reliable junk removal company and we can even help coordinate these removal efforts.
Your peace of mind is our priority, and that includes helping you during or after a home disaster. Contact our Boston area moving company today for all your moving needs.