Snow, ice, and freezing temperatures — oh my! Moving any time of the year can be a stressful situation, but moving in the winter adds another level of nervousness as it presents different challenges.
Thankfully, we have a few tricks up our sleeves that all homeowners should know regarding moving during the winter months.
- Check the Weather. It may be a mild December this year, but don’t expect the weather to cooperate in the winter — it could change at any moment. Check the 10 day forecast and then check it again the day before your move as well as the day of. You won’t have much daylight to work with, so it would be best to hire a professional moving company to quickly move all your belongings for you.
- Wear Layers. Because the weather is unpredictable, it’s best to be prepared and wear more layers than necessary on moving day. You can easily take layers off if you get overheated. Don’t forget the hat and gloves!
- Bring Emergency Supplies. Piling your car up with a bunch of moving stuff and driving it across town in the snow or sleet can be dangerous. If your car or truck gets stuck, make sure you’ve got shovels and sand on hand to get yourself out. However, you could simply eliminate the issue of getting stuck by hiring a moving company that has the proper equipment to get your belongings safely to their new destination.
- Have Towels on Hand. You’ll never realize how dirty your belongings will get by simply moving them out of your old home and into your new, especially during the winter. Have rags and towels on hand to wipe off all the mug, salt, snow or ice before giving them a permanent location inside your new home. Any boutique moving company should have moving supplies on hand that will protect your belongings from the winter elements.
- Keep the Path Clear. When the weather calls for snow, be sure to shovel pathways to your home’s entrance ways. Parking in the garage or street will ensure that any plow service you have can come and clear the driveway. Don’t forget to shovel at your new place, too!
Of course, one of the best ways to have a successful and stress free winter move would be to hire a full service moving company. Hiring quality local movers can significantly reduce the amount of time you need to be outside in the cold and you’ll be less likely to injure yourself. At Mastodon Moving, we take extra care to wrap valuables and secure them safely in our trucks. Give us a call and we’ll lend you a hand this winter!